|Mid Career (2+ years of experience)
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor’s degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a SEO/SEM Specialist.
The Coordinator for Marketing and Communications primary responsibility is to develop and execute paid (PPC) and organic (SEO) search marketing strategies and campaigns to drive awareness, inquiries and ultimately applications for Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies programs. The Coordinator is responsible for managing and optimizing PPC campaigns across a variety of channels (e.g. Google, Bing, Facebook, LinkedIn, et. al.) to deliver on lead generation objectives and to meet or exceed volume and ROI targets, while managing to a fixed budget. The Coordinator also manages all SEO activities for SCS, improving visibility for SCS programs and driving qualified traffic to the SCS website. The Coordinator works closely with the assistant director of marketing, media planning coordinators, content marketing coordinator, graphics area, and web team. Training opportunities will be provided.
This critical role:
- Develops and executes search engine marketing (SEM) strategies and campaigns (SEO, PPC, social search) to meet and exceed search engine ranking, web traffic, lead generation and ROI goals for SCS and more than 25 individual programs;
- Conducts regular SEO analysis and make recommendations to optimize site content, meta tags and descriptions, linking, et. Al;
- Works with content marketing coordinator on the development and execution of content marketing initiatives to ensure optimal alignment with SEO strategies and goals;
- Assumes primary responsibility for web analytics account management as Google Analytics superuser; serve as web analytics point person for other SCS departments;
- Manages all aspects of PPC campaigns, including keyword research and list development, bid management, ad copywriting, performance analysis and optimization;
- Executes PPC campaigns across multiple outlets, including Google, Bing, Facebook and LinkedIn;
- Continually monitors and optimizes PPC performance through campaign analysis to improve cost per click (CPC), click-through rate (CTR), conversion rate, cost per lead (CPL), et. al., while managing to a fixed budget;
- Provides weekly, monthly and annual reports on campaign performance to assistant director and senior director of marketing; meet regularly with assistant director and senior director of marketing; meet regularly with assistant director to present and discuss campaign performance--implement enhancements/corrections;
- Optimizes ads and landing pages to increase clicks and conversions; conduct A/B testing of ads and landing pages to ensure data-driven decision making;
- Conducts keyword research and develops keyword lists and strategies for new program launches; recommend PPC budgets for new campaigns; setup new campaigns in PPC advertising platforms;
- Identifies, manages and tracks program listings on relevant association and organization websites;
- Suggests advertising opportunities or branding opportunities to media planners;
- Monitors the competitive landscape and stay current with SEM/SEO/PPC and digital marketing trends, testing new approaches and adopting best-practice strategies;
- Liaisons with academic departments to stay informed of program updates;
- Integrates closely with assistant director of marketing, media planning coordinators, content marketing coordinator, graphics area, and web team;
- Serves on committee responsible for coordinating website user testing;
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- Two years of work in online marketing;
- Previous experience managing to a fixed budget;;
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS;
- Experience working with CMS;
- Basic knowledge of PPC advertising platforms (Adwords, Bing Ads, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.);
- Understanding of SEO principles and strategies;
- Basic knowledge of website analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics);
- Strong communications skills;
- Research and market analysis skills;
- Decision making skills;
- Ability to effectively multi task;
- Able to work independently;
- Takes initiative;
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer skills;
- Budgeting skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field;
- 2+ years of work experience in search engine marketing, including SEO and PPC;
- Previous experience marketing to adult learners;
- In-depth experience working with CMS;
- Intermediate knowledge of HTML/CSS;
- Demonstrated successes managing PPC campaigns across channels (Adwords, Bing Ads, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.);
- Google AdWords Certification;
- Intermediate knowledge of website analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics);
- Experience working with keyword tools and Google Webmaster Tools;
- Excellent oral communication skills;
- Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Research and market analysis skills;
- Demonstrated capacity for developing and executing marketing plans;
- Strong aptitude for determining the optimal way to position programs in the market;
- Experience determining and demonstrating ROI from marketing programs.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 21896.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.